Puli Mittai Recipe | How to make Tamarind Candy balls?
It is a nostalgic candy which has a mixture of both sweet and sour with a splash of spice. It is really easy to make with just 2 main ingredients. Try the recipe yourself and let me know the feedback.Refer Wiki
- Tamarind - 200g (black / brown)
- Jaggery - 250g to 300g
- Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1 tbsp
- Salt - a pinch
- Soak tamarind in half glass water and keep for 20 minutes to 30 minutes. Deseed and remove the stems from the tamarind. Blend it to a fine paste.
- Melt jaggery with half glass of water, strain the syrup and keep aside.
- Heat a non stick pan, pour the jaggery syrup and stir well. Once the syrup begins to boil, add red chilli powder and mix well. Add salt and cook further.
- As the syrup begins to thicken and boils well, add the tamarind paste, mix well and cook on medium flame. Cook till it becomes thick and the candy begins to leave the sides of the pan.
- Check the consistency of the candy, by taking a small piece from the candy and allow it to warm. Wet your hands and try to roll the candy, if it rolls, the candy is done.
- Remove the candy to another bowl immediately and let it warm. Wet your hands and roll it candies into small balls and wrap them.