Turkish Delight is based on the mixture of cornstarch and sugar. It’s another name is Lokum. It can be flavored with rose water, orange blossom water or lemon. Turkish delight’s are cut in to small cubes and dusted with icing sugar, cream of tartar or cornflour to prevent them from sticking to each other.
Granulated Sugar - 1 cup Water - 1 3/4 cups Lemon Juice - 1 tsp Cornflour - 1 cup Cream Of Tartar - 1 tsp Water - 2 cups Rose Syrup / Pink Food Color - 1 tbsp to 2 tbsp Rose Water / Rose Essence - 1 tbsp (optional) Cornflour - to coat the delights Substitute for cream of tartar:- 1 tsp cream of tartar = 1.5 tsp of baking powder 1 tsp cream of tartar = 1 tsp of lemon juice 1 tsp cream of tartar = 1 tsp of white vinegar
- Boil sugar with water and lemon juice for 10 to 15 minutes on medium - low flame or till the syrup reaches to one string consistency. Keep aside.
- Now mix cornflour with cream of tartar and water till no lumps left. Heat and stir continuously till it becomes thick with no lumps.
- Gradually add sugar syrup little at a time and keep stirring continuously, once all syrup is added, give a good stir and cook on low flame for 40 to 45 minutes. Keep stirring in between to avoid burning at the bottom. Cook till it become's light golden color.
- Remove from flame, add rose syrup / food color and rose water / rose essence (if using) and mix well.
- Now grease a square tray and line with parchement paper and apply oil on paper as well. Pour the delight over and spread evenly using a spatula and level it evenly with the spatula or backside of a griddle. Allow it to cool and set completely. May take around 5 to 6 hours.
- Demould the delight from the tray and remove the parchment paper. Cut into small square pieces. In a bowl, take some corn flour and add the cut pieces and toss well until it coats on the delights.